Big Woods Congregational Church, 1836-2006
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

The Big Woods Congregational Church (BWCC) collection represents a modest portion of the historical records pertaining to the church’s establishment in 1835 and growth throughout the years.  Types of records include church histories, membership and pastor lists, building renovations plans, land purchases, and Big Woods’ withdrawal from the United Church of Christ (UCC) and joining the National Association of Congregational Christ Churches (NACCC) in 1975. There are numerous church histories written by members, newspapers, and historians due to the church being established in the early settler period of Illinois.

Care was taken to maintain the donor’s original order of the collection.  The donor’s container lists can be found in the case file.

Held at:
Northern Illinois University
Founders Memorial Library
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Phone: 815-753-1779
Email: rhcua [at] niu.edu
Record Series Number: RHC/RC/311
Volume: 3.75 Linear Feet
Acquired: 05/17/2011.
Access Restrictions: There are no restrictions on access to the collection.
Subject Index
Church of the Big and Little Woods
Congregationalists
Frontier and pioneer life
Prohibition
Religious Institutions- Illinois- Naperville
Underground Railroad
Women--Societies and clubs.
Rights/Use Restrictions: Property rights in the collection are held by the Regional History Center; literary rights are dedicated to the public.
Acquisition Notes: David Nasgowitz
Related Materials: Big Woods Congregational Church is a branch from the Batavia Congregational Church, reference RC 82 for additional information.